Before getting started, there are a few things you should know. First, you do not need to generate LOD if you just followed the guide.
The Vanilla LOD mod in the guide is essentially the same as what these instructions accomplish.
These instructions are only for if you installed texture mods (such as NMCs or Poco Bueno) or are using a mod that requires LOD to be generated (like MoreMojave).
Second, there are two versions of LODGen available: FNVLODGen and
xLODGen is the newer (and more experimental) version, and includes the option to generate terrain LOD. However, I don't recommended generating terrain LOD unless
you use a mod that requires it.
Terrain LOD creates a much larger file size (+500mb) and potential performance loss for a very minimal visual improvement. Therefore, this guide will focus only on generating
object LOD with FNVLODGen. If you need to generate xLODGen terrain LOD for whatever reason, the instructions will be the exact same except you will need to enable Terrain LOD
option in addition to the Object LOD option.
- Download the Main File - FNVLODGen 3.2.1 file from here
- Once the download has finished, extract the contents of the archive to any location of your choice
- In MO2, select the button at the top of MO2 to open the executables menu
- Click the + at the top of the window and the select Add from file...
- From the pop-up, navigate to where FNVLODGen is installed and select FNVLODGen.exe
- In the Arguments box in the right pane, enter
This argument will make the files generated through FNVLODGen appear in a folder called Output on your C:\ drive (the drive Windows is installed on).
You can change this path to whatever you would like if you would prefer the files to be generated elsewhere.
- Select Apply then OK
Make sure you disable Vanilla LOD before proceeding.
The plugins from the following mods should be placed directly above Altitude.esp, or the plugin of whatever weather mod you are using.
- FNVLODGen - Main File- FNVLODGen Resources 1.1
- If you are using NMCs Texture Pack, also install the Optional File - NMC LOD texture fix file
- LOD Additions and Improvements - Main File - LODadditions 1.07
- Only if you use NMCs Texture Pack: Much Needed LOD - JUST the Optional File - Much Needed LOD - NMC Patch 1.2
- LOD Supplementation - Main File - FNV LOD Supplementation 0.07
- LOD Texture Patches - Main File - NMC LOD Patch 0.7 and/or Main File - Poco-Ojo LOD Texture Patch 0.1b (depending on which texture mods you are using)
- TCM's LOD Overhaul - Main File - TCM's LOD Overhaul 1.1
- Select FNVLODGen from the executables drop-down in the top right of MO2 and click Run
- Once the program has loaded, right-click in the left pane and click Select All
- In the right pane, check Objects LOD but leave Trees LOD unchecked
Tree LOD is not functional in New Vegas. LOD for trees is covered in Object LOD.
- Under the Objects LOD section, change the Atlas size option to 8192 x 8192
- Select Generate
- Wait for the message LOD Generator: finished (you can close this application now) to appear (should take under 15 minutes depending on your CPU), then close out of the program
- In MO2, right-click on the Overwrite folder at the bottom of the left pane and select All Mods -> Create empty mod above
- Title the mod FNVLODGen Output
- Navigate to where the LOD files were generated (by default,
C:\Output\) and select both the
- Move them to the FNVLODGen Output mod you just created (right-click on the mod and select Open in Explorer)
- The files in
C:\Output\ can be safely deleted